2017 MLB Game #135: Cards at Giants Sat Sep 2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #135: Cards at Giants Sat Sep 2

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lance Lynn (10‐8, 3.14) vs. RHP Chris Stratton (2-3, 3.82) 3:05 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Assume Piscotty will be in the lineup today after his big night last night. Would be nice to get him going the last month. We can always pray for a miracle.

And remember, in 1964 and 2011 people had already stopped praying for that miracle the outlook was so bleak. Look what happened.

r/Rat

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Not a good start when Lynn has to throw 22 pitches to get out of the first inning and had the bases loaded as well…at least he didn’t let a run get across to keep it at 0-0 at the top of the 2nd…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Bottom of the 4th, Cards lead 1-0…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Top of the 7th now, Cards still up 1-0, Cards and Giants have a combined 3 hits…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Piscotty, Molina, and the pen turn out to be the goats with the game on the line. Gave another one away. Too bad for Lynn.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

If there any doubt the manager should be dismissed at the end of the season there shouldn’t be after this game. Leave Lynn in the game. He had only given up a hit through 8 innings and was just over 100 pitches. Additionally he isn’t likely to come back next year so put him back out there. The manager just isn’t good and that has been clear for a long time. He needs to be part of the house cleaning.

NJ315
    Participant

Was there any doubt that Oh was going to fail? This was a manager’s special.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Made to order bullpen fail. Why do they put Oh in these situations? Guaranteed to give up a hit. Terrible managing, terrible relief pitching.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And Hundley ends it with a homerun in the last of the 10th against Sheriff. 2-1 Giants the final.

I beg to differ about Oh. Lyons gave up the leadoff hit to Pence and the ball that Posey hit was a really good slider, low and outside. Posey just stuck his bat out and got a soft liner into right. Cant blame this one on Oh.

r/Rat

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A tough one to lose.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Compete failure to even get the ball out of the infield.Lousy hitting by Yadier and Piscotty.I bet that Bader was told to run on contact and make the Giants make the play.

NJ315
    Participant

He fails time after time. The odds of him giving up the run were high good pitch or not he failed and the manager put him in a position to fail.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Every batter in the Nat’l league has Oh’s number. They should not put him in game save situations. His only pitch is that slider to righties and they know that. Guaranteed hit or close to it.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Just more tactical illiteracy on display during the last couple innings.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Haven’t you learned by now people. Mike Matheny can’t manage a bullpen. He can barely manage at all and isn’t good enough to manage this franchise.

Seriously this guy sucks And here we are look down the barrel at a split.

bccran
    Participant

The players failed. Not the manager.

NJ315
    Participant

So when the players succeed is them not the manager.

bccran
    Participant

NJ –

Wong – 0 for 4
    DeJong – 0 for 4
    Molina – 0 for 2
    Piscotty – 0 for 4
    Garcia – 0 for 4
    Grichuk – 0 for 3

3 hits all day, and Fowler got 2 of them. With the terrific game that Lynn pitched, we should have won by 3 or 4 runs at least. You want to blame the above embarrassing offense performance by those players on Matheny? Good luck doing that.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

LOL, is it February the 2nd yet?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Haven’t you learned by now people. Mike Matheny can’t manage a bullpen. He can barely manage at all and isn’t good enough to manage this franchise.

I can’t put the blame on Matheny for this one. Personally I would have liked to see Lynn come out for the ninth, but the game is rarely played that way anymore. With us and a bullpen in flux, it made sense to me, but then I figured we would go to the bullpen with Lynn at 100 pitches.

Still we lost on a pitch low and outside where Posey just happened to get enough of the bat on it to bloop it to shallow right. Then in the 10th, Molina and Piscotty had bad ABs. I was “yelling” at Molina to look for something to hit to right field, which he did not do. Same with Piscotty – go up there with the notion that you are going to go the other way unless you get behind in the count.

We’ve lost a lot of games this year because of poor fundamentals. I think we are 19-27 in one run games, which shows we either do not play fundamental ball, or we are victims of bad breaks. Today was a combination of both of those.

NJ315
    Participant

BCCRAN, so Friday when they triples and homers that was the manager not the players. So what is the manager’s job?

mbusapp
    Participant

Free

Can we designate Matheny for assignment and recall Stubby? Please!

bccran
    Participant

After every Cardinals loss, there’s a certain “element” that just has to blame it on the manager. It’s a compulsion. So sad. I don’t give the manager praise when the players knock the cover off the ball, and I don’t attribute managerial blame when the players fail miserably on offense like today.

bccran
    Participant

There were 27 Cardinal outs today, NJ. The Cards struck out 14 times – more than 50% of the time. How many times did MM strike out?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.