2017 MLB Game #117: Cards vs. Braves Sat Aug 12

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #117: Cards vs. Braves Sat Aug 12

This topic contains 22 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Brianpnoonan 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Carlos Martinez (8-9, 3.52) vs. Lucas Sims (0-2, 5.25) 6:15 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Seriously folks, what are we going to do with Cecil? Its obvious he is only a mopup pitcher at this point so what happens to him?

r/Rat

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Man, this is a nice run. Seven in a row, and we seem to score 8 runs every night. I really like watching Pham and Wong play. Both guys are players I have liked for a long time, and have always felt with their athleticism that if they were allowed to play every day and get into a rhythm, they would be valuable.

On Cecil, since he got a nice contract and has had success in the past, all you can do is give him time. His location has been terrible – too many pitches up in the zone. For now we’re stuck with him, and so you put him in low leverage situations and hope he can develop better command and pull those pitches down in the zone.

If this keeps up though, he might end up being the pitcher’s version of Piscotty, and be a very well compensated player for Memphis.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Agree Cecil is a sunk cost at this point. Either bear with him on the active roster or send him down to AAA until he works out his placement. He has performed at an elite level, so we know he’s capable, but his recent performance can’t be tolerated if they’re going to make a run. Cubs and Brewers are in a rut, so now is the time to take advantage. Cecil could squander that if he’s put into close game situations. 12 pitchers should be plenty as long as Lyons and Duke stay healthy. Bring up Sierra as a b/u OF for the final push.

14NyquisT
    Participant

There are a lot of Cards fans that would not have thought they’d see “final push” posted anywhere on this site this season. Surprise.
    side note: I was one of them.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Likewise!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

One to file away. Because of his MLB service time, even if he has options remaining, Cecil could not be sent to the minors without his consent.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Good point on the 13 pitcher situation. I think we could go with 12 and bring in another position player, perhaps Diaz or Sierra, for Cecil. But then again, in 3 weeks we’ll expand the rosters and likely add some bench strength, although it could be a little longer to keep Memphis strong for their post season.

After Cecil’s outing last night, you could see that he was real dejected. Obviously he feels worse about things than we do. But man, you can’t have those performances in a pennant race.

Really, the last two games were examples where we should never have had to go to a closing situation. Matheny did not do a good job in the late innings in the last Kansas City game by allowing Oh to pitch to Moss, although again had Cecil done his job it would not have come to that. But he did get the strikeout of Gordon I believe it was, after allowing the first two to reach. At that point I was saying to leave him in, because you knew Moss was going to hit in the 9 spot and so if you bring in Oh, you then need to go to someone else to face Moss.

Matheny stayed with Oh and things got dicey. But again granted, if Cecil does his job, and then Oh gets his guy the pressure stays off.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Carpenter 1B
    Pham LF
    DeJong SS
    Fowler CF
    Molina C
    Gyorko 3B
    Wong 2B
    Grichuk RF
    Martinez P

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

I wonder if a high paid reliever would rather sit on the bench and do nothing, or “consent” to go back to AAA with an agreement to bring him back with the expanded roster. But I also agree management needs to set him up for success, not do or die situations. Cecil has the ability, just needs to find it again. We even saw some of that a month or so ago. This is a season ending or season saving challenge for management and the FO. They need to figure this out quickly.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Gyorko scratched. Greg Garcia now playing 3B, batting 8th. Wong and Grichuk slide up one spot.

Edit: Right knee irritation for Gyorko.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Brian Walton.

Joslin
    Participant

…and CarMart’s attempt to concentrate and be ready in the 1st inning fail again. Seriously, why is it that he can’t manage the 1st? Every other inning he’s really good, but he comes out of the gate unable to do his job.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Welcome, Joslin. Great question. Martinez really does have trouble in the first inning. I wonder why the coaches can’t help him come up with a preparation plan that works better.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Homers by Grichuk and DeJong helped power the Cards to a 6-3 lead in the seventh.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Would this season be different if Lyons had been healthy all season?

TexasCard
    Participant

That’s a winner! Come on D-backs! 4-0 top 7.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Rosenthal gives up two unearned runs in the ninth after a bad error by Carpenter. But the Cards hold on for 6-5 win, their eighth consecutive victory.

davecubbs
    Participant

Good win. but man Carpenter almost single handedly blew the streak. Where was his head. Little league to drop that but worse than that was the oh schucks I drop it and let me take my sweet time picking it up. complete bonehead play.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  davecubbs.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  davecubbs.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Ironic that Carpenter nearly screwed over Rosenthal after his earlier criticism of Rosenthal. Hopefully Rosenthal holds his tongue.

thejager
    Participant

No games back. But .001 behind the Cubs. Virtual first place!

EuroWolf
    Participant

^ You have rounding error there. It’s actually .0004 behind (one significant digit). 😉

858booyah
    Participant

I think carrying an extra bat would hurt this team more than help. Especially with Oh and Cecil doing what they do.

They really need an 8th inning type of guy.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Regardless of feelings at the deadline…

Good to see us winning. Been around to know this will slow down at somw point… But we could get some september or late August help and make a run.

Still think extremely long odds to win it all — too inconsistent and even our good horses are half broken most of the time. But this should tell just about anyone some good things.

Not nate of course.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.