2017 Arizona Fall League

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 Arizona Fall League

This topic contains 113 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 114 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Schedule coming next week, with rosters later in August. Games begin October 10.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Can you remind us which minor leaguers have already participated?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Anyone care to speculate on candidates?

Here are some possibilities

Infielders:
    Seferina-audition for the 40 man roster
    Sosa (if healthy)
    Mejia – I can see a scenario where Valera gets a September call up and Mejia goes to the fall league.
    Edman – test against better competition?

Outfielders:
    O’Neill – big league prep
    Ar Garcia – got a late start so could use the reps
    Mercado – test against higher competition and 40 man roster tryout.
    Martini – 40 man roster test
    Drake – may be bester OF defender. Needs the hitting work.

Catchers:
    Knizner – if he goes, look for Kelly to be on the trade block!

Probably 4 of those at the most go along with 3 pitchers.

Derek Shore
    Participant

In terms of position players, I would also throw Alvarez into that mix given he missed two full months due to injury. Arozarena is another possibility. Perhaps McElroy, barring his health.

As far as pitchers, an AFL opportunity for Hudson and Flaherty would put them in position to compete for the fifth starter spot, assuming Lynn leaves. Maybe even Poncedeleon, who will be approached about starting up a rehab per the P-D. Other names: Alcantara, Helsley, Gallen, Evans, and Morales.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Derek Shore.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Derek Shore.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Good catch on Alverez. He was on the list in my head but I forgot him when I wrote it out. In fact, he may be the number one candidate due to time missed during tbe season.

Considered McElroy but then decided he is so far down the depth chart now that he seemed unlikely. I also believe he is a minor league FA if not added to the 40 man roster and I don’t see that happening.

bccran
    Participant

Tuivailala?
    Pearce?
    Ravelo?
    Montgomery?
    Artie Reyes?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Tuivialala probably isn’t eligible due to the amount of service time he has. He has nothing to prove there as well.

Ravelo and Montgomery will be minor league FA’s if not added to the 40 man roster. It is possible that that happens or they are signed to minor league contrats for 2018 but I think their situations complicate them going to the AFL.

Pearce and Reyes are legitimate possibilities.

In the past we have seen some strange assignments so little would surprise me.

14NyquisT
    Participant

cc…. you may be right about Kelly going on the block with the rise of Knizner, but I don’t think so. Knizner’s stock has gone up big time. Consider that in 53 weeks he went from Johnson City to Springfield AND has been successful. I think he got the chance for that jump because of the lack of good catching at the levels in between. Also, MEM has little in the way of catchers, PB has JEMartinez who has truly struggled and losing ABs to Godoy because is BA is way too low. PEO has a DH/C and an OK catcher that is 24 y.o. and playing his second season at low-A.

The lower levels…..State College has a C that can hit but can’t catch and another that can catch but his bat has been a disappointment. JC has a couple of good catching prospects and the CGL-Cards has a prospect that hasn’t proven himself stateside.

The point being that after Kelly and Knizner, as it stands now, there is a big drop-off. If Kelly is PlanA, then Knizner has to be PlanB. And you have to have at least a PlanB, especially with catchers.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

We’ve gone for years without a plan B for backup catcher. Some years not sure we had a plan A 🙂

14NyquisT
    Participant

c…. Yeah, you’re right. I guess with Yadi around the F.O. didn’t consider catching something high on their priority list. The thing is, I don’t expect Molina to be around much longer. IMO I think he’ll be gone either before next season starts or during the season. Now you’ll need a PlanB. Capeche :).

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  14NyquisT.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I didn’t list pitchers in my first post.

Pitching candidates for me include:
    Flahert or Hudson (I can see them sending one but not both) – innings will be key and both may be excluded just for that reason.
    Pearce – a chance to up his prospect status/show case for trade?
    Ar Reyes – see Pearce
    Ponce de Leon – a very strong candidate since it looks like he should be healthy.
    Hergert – Every year the Cards seem to send a pitcher that makes you scratch your head. He could be that guy this year.
    Alcantra – a chance to see him as a reliever?
    Ellis – another bullpen tryout candidate
    Evans – could use the innings
    Gallen – probably not because of the number of innings thrown
    Morales – 40 man roster tryout?
    Nielsen – longshot
    Helsley – chance to see him against better competition

Most likely 3 go. Poncedsleon, Ellis, and Morales are my predection here. Next two on my list would be Helsley and Reyes.

858booyah
    Participant

Alcantara
    Sierra
    Arozarena
    O’Neill

At least those 4

14NyquisT
    Participant

O’Neill, Mercado(to see if he can really hit in the .300s), and Martini(see Mercado) . Maybe Sosa if he can play, he needs the work, a decision will have to be made about his advancement. Arozarena also makes sense.

Flaherty, (we usually send a big guy), Alcantara, Morales(is he really an MLB relief candidate). I could see Mayers going because he is now a “tweener”, he’s been blocked as a starter, the help could push him in the right direction and the F.O. flat out owes it to him.

thejager
    Participant

POncedeleon to make up for missed time
    Hudson as a star
    ONeill
    Mercado
    Sierra
    Maybe JEremy MArtinez?

PadsFS
    Participant

Eliezer Alvarez is a no-doubter imo. I think Sierra is too. Sosa needs the work if he regains his health. Hudson/Flaherty/Gallen are all possible depending on innings.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Just read Brian’s article and generally agree with him. Wonder if he considered Mike Mayers, if he has not had too much major league experience.

He has just been converted to relief and so far looks good.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Thanks, Sooner. Probably better to direct more questions about this article to the Members Board, since many here have not read it. My quick take on Mayers is that I expect him to be an MLB call up in September and the organization will use the AFL spot on another.

14NyquisT
    Participant

There’s something different about your picks…. they make total sense. I liked the reasons explained and the insight you have as an AFL vet.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Thank you, 14NyquisT. I won’t get them all right, as there are many variables, but I do see some logical choices.

PadsFS
    Participant

I like Poncedeleon as a potential swing player. Do they still do that? Just to get him a few innings before the years over.

Flaherty does make sense over Gallen and Hudson though for the reasons you listed.

It’s too bad Sierra is in the way of Arozarena and Garcia. Both really could use the development, but Sierra is the obvious outfield candidate. Perhaps we can send two outfielders and no catcher.

PadsFS
    Participant

Although I realize all three outfielders can play in the Winter leagues too and probably will. A strong performance by Sierra and he may get top 100 prospect status.

PadsFS
    Participant

I’m surprised Sierra and Alvarez are not going to the AFL. At least Sosa is in of the three amigos. Alcantara makes sense given his innings are just now eclipsing his 2016 innings load.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Nagowski? Really? I like his OBP but that is about it. Is he some kind of defensive whiz? I thought maybe at least he batted LH but is a RH bat like Voit. I realize the Cards might have been forced to send a 1B but still.

I assume this means we signed him as minor league FA for next year.

PadsFS
    Participant

He’s on the taxi squad…will barely play.

thejager
    Participant

Does this mean that Alcantara is not an option for the pen in September?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.